Monday, August 2, 2010

It's a Gift

   There are moments when one of our children says something that makes my breath catch.  The depth of their thoughts and feelings and how they share them stirs something deep within me.  It's not that I think that DH and I are such amazing parents but it's more an awestruck feeling that God is doing something special in their hearts, their lives.  Our best effort at parenting is but filthy rags.  But, God's grace and power covers us and does incredible things.  We continually entrust them to Him.
   Just this weekend our oldest child and I were spending some one-on-one time.  We went out to shop for groceries, a birthday cake and some gift items.  He is turning a year older this week.
   I immensely enjoyed our conversation as we traveled.  He LOVES racing -- whether it's remote control cars or regular car racing.  So we talked about racing.  We talked about what he is looking forward to in the next year of his life.  We talked about going to China, having a sister who is almost exactly 10 years younger than him, traveling internationally and the associated travel costs.
   I shared that our trip will be quite expensive and that it may mean a lean Christmas this year.  I explained that he might just get one gift, to which he replied:

"Mom!  Isn't getting a sister enough of a gift?
I mean, a little sister.  That's a gift in itself!"
  


1 comment:

  1. Man-child with wisdom far out reaching his true age!
    (((HUG))) Happy Birthday! xoxo
    Aunt Suzie

    ReplyDelete