First I want to apologize that it's taken so long to get to a post from Ch*na. It's been quite glorious and grueling. For now, I will summarize just what's been happening.
The grueling part was traveling last week and not really having a chance to settle in anywhere until we arrived in Fujian Province on Sunday. We traveled over 27 hours to get into Beijing. D. got sick on the long flight and when we arrived in Tokyo he was pretty out of it. God saw us through that and we arrived at our hotel about midnight. The next few days were mostly a blur. We did visit the Great Wall. That was pretty awesome.
On Saturday we had the incredible blessing of going to Shepherd's Field Children's Village where our daughter has lived for just over the past year. We got to see the house she lived in with many other children and their nannies. Our first meeting was very hard. She wanted her Ayis pretty badly. She was very scared and pretty quickly we realized we needed to go back to the Inn at SFCV so we didn't upset all the kids there. She screamed and cried for a while -- until Cheerios came to the rescue. Let me just say they were like magic.
Cheerios. I never realized how much of an ice breaker a Cheerio could become. But, it worked beautifully, along with all the prayers.
On Sunday, we flew from Beijing to Fuzhou with a representative from SFCV then packed into a van and drove an hour or so to the hotel where we could officially take custody. PHEW! That was quite the experience and I'll share more about it some other day.
From that point, she's been ours. The adoption was made official on Monday with trips to the local officials offices. Tomorrow we get her passport and head to Guangzhou.
So, what you really want to know is how it's going. Well, up until two nights ago, I was the most physically and emotionally exhausted I think I have ever been. If you have ever run a marathon or exercised or done anything way beyond what you thought you were capable of then you will know where I was.
Lil' one was not going to sleep easily. The rest of us were tired, hungry and just all around having a hard time. Thank God for H. who kept it all together with the older three while I tried to manage the baby. For a few nights, all she would let me do at bedtime was hold her and walk or stand or she would cry like a banchee. There would be no sitting or lying down with her until she was fast asleep. By the third night, I had nothing left and we had to find a better way.
After much prayer and tears, we finally worked it out and she's sleeping beautifully now. We have a little tuck in routine and then she sleeps in her crib up against our bed. I then slide my arm through the slats and she holds (more like death grip!) my finger. At first, she would wake up and look for me and my hand and if it wasn't there she'd whimper. But each day is getting better.
Something else that we believe was part of all her crying at bedtime has to do with grieving. She had Ayis (nannies) that she was attached to and has known their loving care. Her cries were more of a gutteral, desperation to return to what she knew and loved rather than a lack of desire to go to sleep. Her heart has been ripped again from what it knew. I have cried with her, too. I am so sorry for all that she has had to go through to get to us - her forever family.
The glorious part is the gift she is to us already. Her brothers and sister are enamored by her. Even I., our video game loving boy, said she was more fun to watch than his Nintendo DS. Now, that's a big compliment! D. just can't get enough of her and wants to tickle her all the time. And, while lil' one seems to target Ashley for pokes, pulls and scratches, A. has been amazingly understanding of it all and is learning to move out of the way quickly.
Hopefully, we can update a little more from Guangzhou. I will also share more when we get home. We have pictures and stories galore. Finally, I want to thank all of you who are praying us through this trip. We know you are out there and we feel God's presence and have seen him work many things through for us. We continue to give Him all the glory for what He has done and will do in our family as we complete this journey and begin life with our new, bigger family back in the U.S.
When you comment it doesn't show up until I approve it and I can't see them from here. I will post them when we get to the US. But they are coming through to us and I love seeing them! XOXOXO M.
*****
Note from M's sister S:
As I cut and paste M's email I believe she cannot see this "Room to Grow" Blog...but does in fact get your personal replies via their email...Thank God for technology :-)
SO PLEASE KEEP SENDING THEM YOUR PRAYERS AND REPLIES!
Thanks, (((HUGS))) S.
When you comment it doesn't show up until I approve it and I can't see them from here. I will post them when we get to the US. But they are coming through to us and I love seeing them! XOXOXO M.
*****
Note from M's sister S:
As I cut and paste M's email I believe she cannot see this "Room to Grow" Blog...but does in fact get your personal replies via their email...Thank God for technology :-)
SO PLEASE KEEP SENDING THEM YOUR PRAYERS AND REPLIES!
Thanks, (((HUGS))) S.
SOOOO nice to hear from you!!!!
ReplyDelete~~Heather~~
Maureen - I am crying reading this. What a beautiful thing you have done. Your family is being blessed already & your new "lil" one is also being blessed very much. God be with you as you continue your journey. We will continue to pray for you all. We hope to meet her one of these days after you get home! Love and Blessings, Tim & Jamie G.
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting an update! Our son was sad every night at bedtime at the beginning too. It sounds like your family is doing so wonderfully well. The trip was the most grueling thing we have ever been through, but also the most worthwhile! Sending prayers and good thoughts your way! Guangzhou was like a bit of a vacation for us because we were more settled as a family and we could relax a little more. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update. I was wondering what was happening. Sounds like it has been a bitter, sweet journey. This will all be just a memory soon, and you'll be back in familiar surroundings to establish even more trust with your new little one. The trust that she is gaining from you now will be the foundation of her love for you. You and Harry are easy to love, so I know it will grow quickly. The Lord has brought you this far, and He WILL give you the strength to bring you the rest of the way.
ReplyDeleteTell the kids that Chloe is doing well. Maybe a little too well. She had a real Thanksgiving dinner with us (my bad), and now those Kibbles and Bits aren't as appealing as they once were. She reluctantly eats her dog food after nosing around for people food first. We've had some really wet and snowy weather here while you've been away. Apparently Chloe doesn't like to get her perm wet. The kids have to pick her up to take her outside when the weather is less than par. She gets very stiff and gives us this look like, "You've got to be kidding me!" It's funny. She is a good dog, and the kids are enjoying her stay with us. So, don't worry about Froey Chloe. (That is my memory trick to help me get her name right. She has that cute little afro.) After Sarah settles in, it will be interesting to see what she thinks of having a dog. That's one thing I'll bet she didn't have in China.
{( )} That's my virtual hug to you,
Amy
Hi,
ReplyDeleteThinking of you and praying for you. Do you have a babypack/Ergo to "wear" her? This helped us a lot. Also, we put our kiddos in our bed to help them at night. Do you know if she slept with other people? Both of ours were used to co-sleeping. I don't know if you can access the website from China, but look at
http://www.a4everfamily.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=53&Itemid=120
if you can. The whole website has ideas. We've SOOOO BTDT. If you need more immediate help, I could Skype you. ;)
Hugs!
So good to hear a report. Still praying for you all. May God's grace abound, more and more! :o)
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your update from China! It's so great that you got to visit SFCV and see where your little one has spent a lot of time. I hope that her heart is healing and that she will learn to trust you more and more everyday. I pray that she will be comforted by the Father and feel her family's love as well. I can't wait to hear more, and see pictures! One less orphan in the world! Yay!!
ReplyDeleteSqueaky shoes for Rebecca and Cheerios for S! So glad to hear the update and I'm continuing to pray for you all!
ReplyDeleteoh, my... that sounds like a familiar story :) Emma took about 3 days too. The good news is that our children were so loved at SFCV that they had a reason to grieve, and for that we should be grateful. I hope you packed the peanut butter :) First stop in Guangzhou- Lucy's, for some GOOD western food. Praying for you all! Sarah Fischer
ReplyDeleteShe is so cute!! And God is good. I hope you guys continue to get sleep.
ReplyDeleteLouanne BAAS