Today we had our Medical Exam. Uh, well, technically yes. But, really, I could do the exam myself. Seriously, it was pretty basic. Our Holt guide rocked! She worked us through the stations and weaved us through the lines like a NASCAR driver fighting to get to the finish line.
Baby S. is doing well, beyond her utter fear of smaller rooms. I don't really know why but this kiddo FREAKS out each time we walk into a smaller shop, a small bathroom. She had been our elevator wailer for a while but we worked through that one by singing and counting. Yeah, picture five Americans in an elevator singing numbers to a wailing toddler all the while being surrounded by Chinese business men. What a sight! I really do wish I knew what scares her about those places.
She is very clingy when she is uncomfortable and usually I have to stand and hold her. If I sit, she sometimes just keeps screaming. Makes me wonder how this plane ride will go. And, makes me thankful that we only have to do the long plane thing ONCE.
One of my last posts before we left for Ch*na had an update for S. from Shepherd's Field Children's Village. Well, here's our update:
She is very curious and clever! She will watch everything you do and imitate it. She likes to hit (hmmm, that will have to go first) and grab -- especially her big sister. She babbles a good deal and has a favorite little song she likes to sing. She'll play pat-a-cake and giggle like crazy when we "roll it, pat it and mark it with a B". She likes to be two fisted -- got to have one of whatever it is for each hand. She stuffs her mouth full and then will spit out what doesn't seem to work.
She may yell at you in Mandarin and stomp her feet if she doesn't like what you are doing. If she doesn't get what she wants, she may pitch a fit the whole world will hear about. She thinks it's funny to smack her head against my body -- doesn't matter where so I have to be quick. She loves to sleep and does best in her crib. She needs to know where the boundaries of the crib are and she jams her head against the side or in the corner. She has a smile that lights up her whole face. She is one determined little lady.
And, she fits right in. She's just like our other children in so many ways and I find that incredible.
When we stayed at SFCV, the door of our room had S.'s picture and a scripture on it. Amazingly, it was A.'s favorite verse, the one we planned to stencil onto their bedroom wall. I'll leave you with it:
To you, Oh Lord,
I lift up my soul.
Psalm 25:1
Oh, I had forgotten the awkward elevator rides with the businessmen! So funny. Don't worry too much about the flight. It will be hard--no doubt about that--but I realized afterward that there was no way I could be better prepared for that part of the journey and I should have focused less of my energy on worrying about it. When we landed at home, we said "Never again," and a week or two later, we said, "How soon can we go back for another child?" ;)
ReplyDelete