Monday, June 14, 2010

What's in a Name?

   I believe names have a lot of meaning.  When I first thought about whether we ought to give lil' sis an American first name, I was concerned that we would be changing what is already hers.  It is one of the few things she will bring with her from Ch*na.  So, maybe it ought to just be left alone.
   However, her life will change in unmeasurable ways because she will grow up in the States as a Ch*nese American.  She will be changed because of these circumstances.  Maybe a new name ought to accompany this new beginning after all.
   As I considered all of this, I thought about the journey so far.  God has been so gracious and clear to us about this adoption.  From the very first time I considered the possibility of having another child --as I fixed lunch for 6 kiddos, 3 mine and 3 others.  I thought, "why not one more?"  Then God taught me about adoption, placed the desire in both my and H.'s heart, began providing the funds, and today, continues to answer our questions and prayers.  We are watching Him orchestrate this awe inspiring journey to lil' sis.
   And, from His model of changing people's names when they embarked on a new journey in life, we will give lil' sis an American first name and keep her full Ch*nese name as her middle name.  You might be familiar with the accounts in scripture of Abram, Sarai and Saul who became Abraham, Sarah and Paul when God took hold of their lives.
   So, someday when she asks about how we chose her name and why, I will recount these and other stories of lives incredibly changed by the hand of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment