bRoKeNnESs
Something had to be broken in order for us to come together as a family. Mother's Day passed recently and I wonder how often S.'s mom thinks of her. S. would never had become our daughter if it weren't for the broken things in a country half-way around the world that leaves parents no choice but to surrender children for whom they cannot provide care. I know this child was loved. She was loved by all of her foster moms, too. She wants to be loved even though she has been so wounded.
And, sometimes those wounds show themselves in odd ways. I am learning to see them. I will miss some along the way, I am sure. Gradually, though, I am learning to read my daughter. By the grace of an amazing God and through my own brokenness, He is teaching me to be a learned student of my newest baby girl.
Six months is so long and so short.
I have learned that our child is musically gifted. Call it parental bias. Whatever. Put a guitar in her hands and watch her. Her expression changes; something inside of her comes to life. She loves music. It's in her soul. She even played with a band at the local International Folk Festival last week. Seriously. It was very informal but they were so impressed with her playing their little folk guitar at their display in the kids area that they got their instruments and accompanied her.
I have learned that she prays. She wants to pray. She folds her little hands, presses them against her button of a nose and prays. God bless her little heart. She names mommy and daddy and her brothers and sister and even the dog.
I have learned that she wants to talk and be heard. She has a lot to say. Much of it remains a mystery but her language is developing. Her Mandarin was unclear so we could never have benefitted from a translator. She is in speech therapy once each week now and is making such strides.
I have learned that she likes to read. She has begun naming items that I point to in a book. Of course, we can read the same book 75 times, too. She is absorbing everything she sees and hears.
I have learned that I can love a child not biologically born to me just as much as one who was. I won't ever say that I love each one the same way though. That wouldn't be fair. Each child needs to be loved in a way that reaches their heart.
I have also learned that God hears the cries of the weary, confused, frustrated parents who have to work at understanding what it means to be an adoptive parent. I have learned that He will provide exactly who and what we need at exactly the right time.
I have learned that adoption stretches my faith and trust and hope in unfathomable but good ways. I could not come through this experience without the grace of God. It is to Him that I give all the credit and all the glory. He has walked me through some very dark, very challenging days and has led me again to still waters and green pastures.
It is only through His own brokenness, His wounds, that we can find healing in a hurt and broken world.
We can come before God the Father and find rest and wisdom and understanding.
[You can turn the Mixpod player off first if you like.
It's along the right column.]
No comments:
Post a Comment